In honor of today, the ninth day of the ninth month of the year 2009, I’ve put together a list of NINE thing I love about Western Montana.
1. The Big Dipper.
This place kills me softly. Sometimes I daydream about it and my all time favorite flavor: Vanilla Reese’s. Personally, I don’t view daydreaming about ice cream as a bad thing, except that it happens in the morning and then I have to justify to myself that ice cream is not that bad of a breakfast food. It’s got milk. And peanut butter. That’s okay, right mom?
2. Rafting Guides. Is it just me or are most rafting guides here adorable?
3. Glacier National Park. I spent many a summer as a young lass in the park: hiking around, paddling a canoe in circles on Lake McDonald and eating family style meals in St. Mary. Today, you may find me doing the same thing. Except that I can now paddle in my desired direction.
4. The Bitterroot Valley. Q: Do I really need to taste test the sweet potato fries from the Bitter Root Brewery AGAIN? A: Um, yes I do.
5. The Blackfoot River. Nothing beats floating the river on a hot summer day.
6. The Great Northern on a Saturday night. Have you tried it? I guarantee you’ll have a good time. Bring your boots, your sundress or your alter ego. (Sometimes I bring all three.)
7. Sitting on the deck at The Raven on Flathead Lake.
8. Griz football games. Nothing I’ve ever felt delivers quite the same feeling as sitting in Washington-Grizzly Stadium during a home game and cheering with the 27,000+ crowd.
9. It’s home.
September 9, 2009