Truth be told, it doesn’t get much better than
And this year, summer has been pretty fantastic. From visiting summer in Montana. Bighorn Canyon in Southeast Montana to biking the Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park, it’s been full of adventure, beautiful weather and lots of memorable moments. Before the days of summer fully give way to fall, I thought it’d be fun to take a look back at a summer spent in Montana.
Here’s a look at
25 of my favorite summer memories from living, working and playing in Big Sky Country.
1. Bighorn Canyon.
Visiting Bighorn Canyon in the southeast corner of Montana was the highlight of June.
2. Mission Mountains from the top of Ravalli Hill.
One of the best views in Montana.
3. Gladiator Mountain.
To get here, you’re well-advised to take a hearty horse.
4. American Indian dancers at Ninepipes Lodge in Charlo.
The dancers + this backdrop made for a perfect morning.
5. A late summer sunset.
A Missoula sunset.
6. Horses at Flathead Lake Lodge in Bigfork.
Letting the horses out to pasture.
7. A misty morning in Glacier National Park.
Snow and low clouds lingered in mid-May.
8. Missoula from Waterworks Hill.
Taking in the view of the Garden City.
9. Twilight on Flathead Lake.
I think this is what they call a perfect Montana summer night.
10. Riding through remnants of a forest fire.
We rode through several miles of forest-fire burn and this experience is one of my favorite and most vibrant memories from the summer.
11. The Rocky Mountain Front east of Lincoln.
I can only imagine the scenes along this road.
12. The Clearwater Canoe Trail.
Sky and land collide near Seeley Lake.
13. Storm clouds over Lake McDonald.
One of my favorite scenes, the boats of Glacier Park Boat Company at Apgar in Glacier National Park.
14. The Blackfeet Nation + Glacier National Park.
This view is just off Highway 2 between East Glacier Park and Browning.
15. Main Street in Augusta, Montana.
One of the perks of small-town living: little traffic.
16. Biking the Going-to-the-Sun Road.
One of my favorite memories of the entire year: biking in Glacier National Park.
17. The Augusta Rodeo.
One of the greatest things about summer is that nearly every town in Montana has a rodeo.
18. Playing in the water at Placid Lake.
The Seeley-Swan Valley is home to hundreds of lakes. Placid Lake just happens to be my personal favorite.
19. Cotton-candy clouds.
Montana sunsets may be the best sunsets.
20. White River, Bob Marshall Wilderness.
Montana’s backcountry looks like THIS.
21. Sawtooth Mountain + Montana’s plains.
One of the most stunning places to see is where the mountains and plains meet.
22. The Chinese Wall in Montana.
Standing on top of the Chinese Wall, a 22-mile-long rock escarpment in the Bob Marshall Wilderness.
23. Country roads.
You can never go wrong taking a country road.
24. The Crown of the Continent.
Many park visitors come in July and August. This photo is why I love visiting in June.
25. A barn in Gold Creek.
To me, farms and ranches are Montana.
It was a great summer.
August 19, 2016